Monday, 4 April 2011

More spring

I am just stuffing loads of different flowers together hoping they will outnumber the weeds and grass, it worked well in Cornwall but there are some very vigorous weeds in Galicia. In a few weeks there should be a shower of colour across this bed. Buds are starting to break on shrubby things like Hibiscus, Lavander, Rosemary and Budlea and will soon add some shape and texture.
 I have never managed to get one of those leopard aloes to flower until now, it has been so mild this winter they hardly stopped growing.
 I wish I had more stone and more time, walls add lovely texture to a garden
 The Aloe Vera flower is getting taller and taller, I bet it opens next time I go to England.
An old Eucalyptus stump now home to happy succulents.
 Winston Churchill I think the label said on this Fuschia, its very dancy not really his style.
 This crown was transplanted 3 days ago and already another new shoot is rocketing up
I have stopped cutting most as they are only 18 months old but there were about 40 crowns from one sowing of seeds so I am still cutting a few of the plants, these are the ones I have been transplanting rather late but they seem to be surviving well I must earth them up after their soaking.
Strawberries look good close up but...
 
the big picture is a bit disheartening as far as weeding goes
 The first Californian poppy a splash of gold with loads more to come they are almost invasive and popping up all over the garden  
I have been trying to get everything that is growing in big and little pots out into the soil over the last few weeks, I am over half way but the problem of what to do with loads and loads of palm trees is getting harder to ignore. I sowed some seed gathered from Vilarrube palms and have 14 of those, they grow fast and wide and tall and soon tower over houses. There are 15 Trachycarpus in several variations, they take about 10 years before they really start to rocket up, and there are about another 40 unidentified mixed palms...I will have to make a palmy corner somewhere when I have a few mins.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.