Mostly photos of flowers mostly planted by or for Jenny
This one is still only partly grown and with all the rain is now putting on 6 inches or more a day. If you click on the image a couple of times it will zoom in there is a mass of blue flowers forming. Use the back button to get back to the small pics.
This is on a cutting I planted for Jenny last year, like Jenny it is adorable.Sally in mid pounce she came out with a cricket to play with.
Everything is growing ridiculously well this year I think it was late July the nicotina peaked last year, they are already huge and there are a few months of flowering still to go. The oleander in the foreground is one of four that are all preparing to flower although they will be a month or so yet. Again you need to zoom in to see them.
That sweet pea found its tripod, climbed aboard and thanked me by flowering, the seeds I planted are just out of sight but all seem to have come through so there are about another 50 sweet peas in two rows, each row is about a foot long, I need to do some transplanting before they get much bigger.
Somebody chomped a petal on the first aquilegia before I could get the camera at it.
Another lovely scent is in the air a little more each day.
I wonder how much pollinating ants do; they are in quite a few flowers and often covered in pollen.
There doesn't seem to be as many pansies as last year but there might be a load of late ones hiding in the long grass.
The Naval orange blossom is doing very well it looks a bit scruffy but smells wonderful, its a very smelly time of the year in the garden just now.
Its a strange thing gardening, three years ago the garden was pretty much a field with a few established trees and shrubs in the front and not much else. It felt like starting with a blank canvas. Rather than draw loads of plans in advance I like to have a bit of a think over a few months then start to make some changes, keep mulling it all over and using the space and make some more changes... plans are all very well but you need to be in the space walking around for a year or more getting the feel of where the wind blows, where the sun shines, where the views are. As plants and shapes are introduced the whole feel of a place changes and initial ideas need to evolve, pretty little corners and good places to stand or sit or play or where you need to go regularly to inspect things like fruit growing all need linked by paths that make sense for getting from a to b to c efficiently, then the paths themselves influence further planting. This time, far more so, than in previous gardens I have tried to pay attention to where to put flowers with scent so they are near sitting places or along routes to other places not tucked away or hard to get too. Having the eucalyptus made me think about scents in a different way, the dead leaves on the ground have distinctly different sounds and smells in dry or wet conditions both equally wonderful. Now when I prune laurel, escalonia, conifers, lavender, rosemary or anything with smelly leaves a fair bit of the trimmings just go on the path and for days or sometimes weeks the scent lingers or is rekindled by passing feet. Still no smell-o-vision cameras in the shops unfortunately.
I will go for a walk and take some different picture soon I promise but it is all a bit busy with decorating and updating the bathroom and I am back to work tomorrow so it may be a while yet before I get to do a decent walk.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.