Sunday, 2 January 2011

missing holiday

I woke at 5 this morning and for the first time in the festive period I did not have a screaming pain in my ear, or nausea permeating my body; I am not going to try driving yet - still 100% deaf in one ear and its uncomfortable and still affecting my balance I feel totally washed out but definitely improving, I have even eaten food that is not plain boiled rice - marvelous I will be well enough to be back into the joys of assessment on Monday. This seems to be a fairly consistent pattern of being ill as soon as I get a few days off work and I know colleagues and ex colleagues who report similar and years ago as a Primary teacher the same was often reported amongst staff. It does seem rather odd as well as inconvenient, if I can stave off illness week after week while working why does it overwhelm me when I have the chance to do what I love doing? That is the time I need to be fending off illness. Stress is supposed to make us more prone to illness but in my experience work based stress helps us at least stave off the symptoms if not overcome the cause; I guess something in me tells my body it has to keep going if I am at work but once time off arrives it is merely a case of 'I would like to keep going' but I guess I don't internally tag that as essential even though there is fun to be had and a house in urgent need of being sorted out. Its been perfect weather for kayaking, walking or even snorkeling, I missed a chance to make music with friends on the 31st, no doubt Monday will see the wind get up and weeks will pass before tranquility returns. Hopefully that is me well again, at least until my next holiday at Easter.

2 comments:

  1. Down time is responsible for many a poorly colleague in my setting. It (illness) usually starts to present itself a day or two before the break in routine. Sorry o hear that you've had a rough time of it. Treat yourself to a home made burger with all the trimmings or a spinach, olive and chilli pizza (with optional egg) if you are a veggie. Protein and carbs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya, I forgot I posted that, it all went downhill from there I think I had the flue and some complications - slept a lot for another couple of days apart from the odd hour here and there and only recently have I started to get properly back on my feet again. Coincidentally I had home made Pizza yesterday - spelt flour base with olives in it, fresh asparagus from the garden, our last pointy pepper, one of our last onions, some lovely mixed kinds of mushrooms and best of all some tiny little fierce chillis, two plants are overwintering well and making loads of tiny bright orange fruits mmmmm.
    Hope you are raring to go for the coming semester, it is intense but so worth it :D

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.